Sunday, April 19, 2015

Subscription Box Corner: February and March 2015 Treatsie Box Review!

There was a mix-up with my February 2015 Treatsie box. It never showed up at my doorstep, even after shipment was delayed because of the bad weather back east. Well, Treatsie was kind enough to send me another February box and included it with my March one. So, now that I have had time to review them both, let's take a look inside!
As always, Treatsie includes a card with what's featured in the box and a valuation of its contents. They usually stick between $20-$25, with the box costing around $20 anyways. Not too terrible, but also, I would like to get a better, heftier box/value every now and then.
Carla Hall's Petite Cookies were AWESOME! The type was Mexican Chocolate Chip, but I found these didn't really have any cinnamon spice to them at all, which was fine. Delicious, crunchy, sweet but not too sweet, I LOVED these. I would totally buy them again from her site, if shipping weren't so dang expensive. 5/5.
I try not to read the cards that come with these boxes because I like to be surprised. Boy oh boy was I surprised when I bit into McFaddy Candy Co.'s valentine's toffee. YIKES. The toffee was good, nice and buttery, but the chocolate was infused with raspberry! Ugh! I did not like this at all. Plus, the chocolate didn't taste very good, it too tasted buttery, but in a cheap chocolate kind of way. 1/5.
Nunu's Chocolates sent a chocolate heart on a stick for February. That's it, just plain chocolate. It was okay, but nothing special. I'm not a huge fan of milk chocolate, so this was just meh for me. 2.5/5.
The Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Bar from Chocolate Twist is UH. MAY. ZING. This thing is HEFTY! Filled with chocolate, peanuts, pretzel pieces and peanut butter, I have found a new favorite chocolate bar. I could buy a billion of these. The pretzel is only in part of the bar, but the caramel is in the entire thing. It's weird, but I like it. 5/5.

As far as the February box goes, 2/4 of the products were really excellent and 2/4 of them were not. Overall, I think I'd give the box a 3/5. The raspberry toffee was bad enough to reduce it by a point, but the chocolate twist bar, wow, off the chain.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2015's Treatsie Box
...Maybe I should start filling out these cards to try and win stuff on Instagram! The card, as always.
Sticky Toffee Pudding Co.'s Millionaire Shortbread with Smoked Hickory Sea Salt is one word: phenomenal. This delicious, delicate bar was melt in your mouth good. It had every component I want in a dessert: rich, sweet chocolate, creamy, buttery shourtbread, luscious caramel and salty salt. YEOWZA! What a fantastic treat. 5/5.
Zingerman's Zzang! What the Fudge? Candy Bar has a malted milk fondant that makes it sort of squishy. When mixed with milk chocolate fudge (also squishy) and brown sugar caramel (also squishy), you're in for an ooey, gooey time. This was pretty tasty, but that. filling. The brown sugar caramel was distinctly brown sugar flavored and it even felt sort of like brown sugar feels when compared to white sugar. 3/5.
Though I like macaroons just fine, stay. sweet. macs. were sort of boring. Toasted coconut and chocolate, gee, that's creative. Is this bitter? Sounds like it to me. They are tasty, just bland. 2.5/5.
Quin's lollipops had a weird mouth-feel...is that a thing? Does this sound weird? They look like they would be smooth then you started the eat them, but then there's a bizarre texture and an artificial taste as you go deeper into the lolli, which is weird since they are supposedly real fruit?? Just weird. 2.5/5.

March's box was sort of a miss, unfortunately, apart from that delicious, scrumptious, amazing millionaire shortbread...mmmmmmm. Onto April, soon!

2 comments:

  1. Yep! Mouth feel is absolutely a correct term. We use it in food science when describing a food's texture. Sorry Treatsie has been so-so. They need to pick up the pace!!!! Although that pretzel bar sounds AhMazInG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad mouth feel is a think, it sounds like something someone made up! LOL! Yeah, I am a little skeptical because their treats are so hit and miss, but I still like the concept for the box as a whole! Mmmmmm, pretzel bar....

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment! If you do not have a Google ID, just use the "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" option, and comment away! :)