Monday, October 8, 2012

Review: White Barn's Sweater Weather

YouTube is quickly becoming my favorite site for all things scented.

Many, many YouTube users have talked about placing "test store orders" for Bath & Body Works, White Barn, and Slatkin candles. Apparently, these stores get items before they are released nationwide, to test them out on a small population to see how they sell and perform. One of them was somewhere in Ohio..

...and, well, I placed a test store order about two months ago. I know, I know, this thing I have with candles and wax seems to know no bounds. JUST KEEP IN MIND, I never pay full price for anything as a means of thriftiness, and always use one, two, heck, maybe even three coupons in any transaction (if they let you stack coupons, and most places don't anymore). I pride myself on getting the best deals possible. Plus, if you know you can't find a specific fragrance anywhere else, it's justifiable...or so I tell myself. :)

I'm not sure Sweater Weather made it to a nationwide release, so I'm glad I snagged it while I had the chance to do so. The performance of this candle was so-so.The first time I burned it, I got uneven wax pools around each of the thin, white wicks; for those who don't know, B&BW's thin, white wicks are T-R-O-U-B-L-E because they produce shoddy, uneven, off-kilter burns with (sometimes) minuscule wax pools. This, however, is the little candle that could. One a second-day burn, I got better results and an even, deep pool of wax! YIPPEE!!





Let me start by saying: this one is STRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRONG. I took my lil' pup outside, came back in 15 minutes later, and the scent almost knocked me off my feet.  The strength mainly comes from the trio of juniper berries, fresh eucalyptus, and sage, with a tiny bit of woods, sweet spearmint, and dew mixed in. This is what I imagine a damp, dusky forest smelling like: intense, herbal, slightly earthy...these scents work SO well together. It's super fresh without being cheery. It's like pulling your fall and winter clothes out from a dusty, damp attic in a wooden cabin on a rainy morn, in the best possible way. The freshness of this candle is breathtaking, actually, I could breathe it in all day. It makes me want to take a trip to the mountains! If it's not too late, I hope this one gets picked up for nationwide release, though I think most of the general public might not like this. I feel like Josh and I are the only people in the world who don't like sugary, cookie, bakery scents (which EQUAL =/= NOT spicy, nutmegy, cinnamony wonder scents); people tend to lump all these scents in the same category just because spices are used in the kitchen! He's a fruity/fresh kind of guy (HA!) and I am a spicy/fresh/clean kind of gal.

~~~~~~~~~~
White Barn's Sweater Weather
Cold Rating: 7/10; damp and earthy smelling, with a hint of subtle spearmint.
Lit Rating: 8/10; this candle has AMAZING performance
Throw Rating: 10/10; HELLOOOOOOOOOOO NURSE! Insane throw (I swear I could smell this outside!)
Overall Rating: 8/10; picturesque mountainside cabin soaked in rain, sage bushes and eucalyptus surrounding the building with juniper berries close by, absolutely brilliant combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! If you do not have a Google ID, just use the "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" option, and comment away! :)