Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review: Sugar Pie Scents' Sampler

Sugar Pie Scents offered a sample a few weeks ago. I don't remember if Erica, the owner was hoping to carry these scents, or if she just wanted notes on these particular scents, but there were 15 in the order. And I've melted them all. Here is my melted review on each of these scents!
*NOTE: for these scent shots, I am only reviewing the scent itself; I will comment on the throw, but the values reflected are strictly for scent ONLY. You might LOVE something I hate, so please, do not take my reviews to heart 100%, and make your own evaluations! We all have different scent-buds. :)
Amish Quilt: generally one of my favorite scents as it's cinnamon-spicy, sort of sweet...definitely a winner in this house. Sugar Pie Scents' version has decent strength, I smelled this throughout the house, but it wasn't OVERpowering. While this was spicy and sweet, I detected a floral note in this and was confused. I don't know if this was intentional or not, but Josh smelled it, too. I have heard of a floral Amish Quilt, could this be a combination? Not sure, but I did enjoy it, and it lasted about 5.5 hours. I give it a 7.5/10!
Angel Food Cake: delicious, yummy, light and airy in food, so I figured it would be equally as great in wax. This was delicious on cold sniff, but unfortunately, I could not smell this strongly while warming. For a fleeting few moments when this was fully melted, I smelled it while passing through the kitchen, but that was it. 5-10 minutes, tops. I give it a 5/10!
Butter Rum Cappuccino: generally anything with the word "butter" in it scares me. A lot. Buttery in wax often times mean greasy, icky, and not pleasant. This, however, wasn't bad at all! I don't know if there was any cappuccino because the butter rum overpowered it, but it was decent. Strong, too. I give this a 6/10!
Da Lime in Da Coconut: Quite nice! Anything that mixes lime and coconut is most likely a winner. Again, though, this wasn't super strong. It seems that half of what I tried was strong, while the other half was on the weak side. The lime and coconut were well balanced, and it was definitely a tropical scent. I might repurchase this. I give this a 6.5/10!

Grape (not pictured, forgot to take a photo of this one): Grape is quite possibly my least favorite scent next to zucchini bread. I love the fruit, love wine, but hate the smell of grape. Anyway, on cold sniff, this one smells like medicine I was forced to take as a child. I had flashbacks. I got angry. I pushed my anger aside for the better good and melted it. Eeeeesh, not a fan. It was decent in strength, but the scent alone was enough to send me into a corner for the rest of the day contemplating where I went wrong in my life. I give it a 3.5/10!
Lemon Pound Cake: another delicious food! Unlike Angel Food Cake, this one is good and strong! You get that buttery pound cakey note swirling around a lovely, bright lemon! This on lasted for 6 hours, and it's a definitely repurchase. I will note, Lemon Pound Cake is not super in-your-face, but the throw is there. I give this a 7.5/10!
Little Black Dress: I think this is a perfume dupe, but all I have to say it YIKES. This one stinks. If this is a perfume, I wouldn't want to wear it. It smelled like musty flowers. It was STRONG, and not in a good way. ICK. I give this a 2/10! I would not repurchase this, and I have a sneaking suspicion it's not just this vendor's dupe that smells...I just think it's a nasty perfume in general. Adamantly.
Pumpkin Ice Cream: a very creamy pumpkin, almost dead on to the pumpkin ice creams I have tried in real life! Slight cinnamon scent, but not overwhelming...even if you're not a fan of cinnamon, you'd probably enjoy this! Pretty dang strong, but not "get stuck in your nostrils and never leave" strong. I would purchase this scent, and it lasted about 5 hours. I give it a 6.5/10!
Peppermint Patty: ahhh, chocolate scented wax. Hard to pull off, hard to enjoy. Peppermint Patty is a realistic chocolate and mint scent, but the mint is all but covered completely by the chocolate smell! This is an accurate chocolate scent, too, but I just don't care for it in wax. I can't get past....something! This was strong, though, and lingered everywhere. I give this a 5/10!
Peppermint Swizzle Stick: Not to be confused with the popular Rosegirls blend, on cold sniff, this smells like straight-up candy cane! YUM! It's not particularly strong on cold sniff, but it completely dies while warming. Absolutely no throw. I was the most sad about this one because it smelled sooo good! Oh well. I give this one a 3.5/10!
Rosemary Mint: herbal rosemary meets green mint, love it on cold sniff, even if it's not the strongest of the bunch. The throw suffers a bit while warming, but I could still get whiffs of this every time I walked into the room. It was nice, but odd for a daytime melt. I think I should have melted this in a smaller room at night, it might have done better. I give this a 5.5/10!
Rose Petals: "What's in a name? that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet...," that's how the saying goes, right? In this case, the quote might need to be altered. This is extremely floral, but I don't know if I get only rose from this! In fact, I don't know if I get rose at all. It sort of smells like potpourri you might find at a Michael's or something, but rose? Not sure. I didn't care for this and only melted it 30 minutes because the floralness of it gave me a headache. I give this a 3/10!
Serendipity: my favorite scent! I was super excited to see this in the sampler. On cold sniff and warm throw, this one was just okay. It was heavier on the coconut, in my opinion, and the throw was too light for me/serendipity. While it did last about 4 hours with a light throw, I was left wanting more. I give this a 4.5/10!
Strawberry Banana Smoothie: A little light gets triggered in my head when I see the word "banana" in wax. Often times, banana scents can come off too artificial and induce a headache. Strawberry has been big in our house this year so far, so I put this in with an open mind. It was a pleasant surprise! While the banana definitely overpowered the strawberry, it really did smell like a smoothie. Think: Jamba Juice! I give this a 6/10! It lasted around 5 hours as well, so the longevity was just enough that I didn't get tired of it. It's a good "wake up in the mornin' feelin' like P. Diddy" scent (...I can't believe I just said that).
Toasted Marshmallow: a campfire's delight! This one had a nice mallowy smelled to is, and was stronger than I anticipated! This also had a great sweetness while warming, even though there were only general hints of vanilla on cold sniff. Impressed! I give this a 6.5/10!

~~~~~~~~~~
There you have my review of the Sugar Pie Scents sampler! I liked some stuff, didn't like others, but will reorder from this company again!
*A suggestion if you're reading, Erica: maybe thinking about possibly looking into other options besides the #2 scent shot cups; I had a few break in transit at the bottom of the cup and have heard from several people/vendors/my own experience that they suck out the scent of wax. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! If you do not have a Google ID, just use the "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" option, and comment away! :)