Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Review: Kim's Tarts' Farmhouse Cider

My husband Josh has come around about my wax fetish..
[is fetish the right word? Habit? Love? Addiction? Problem? Bueller??]
At first, I don't think he saw the point. While we want our house to smell lovely and not like a trash can, I don't know if he exactly got why I like candles and wax. Of course, I'm purely speculating...maybe he's understood the entire time but was simply giving me a hard time! Some people like fine cigars, sports cards, movie memorabilia...I like candles and wax. 

I've started trying to include him more in my scent travels...
[Travels? Is THAT the right word?? Exploits? Cravings? Adventures? BUELLER???]
Instead of me always picking the scent of the day/night based on what we each like, he's been picking what we melt/burn lately! So, last night, when I read the contents from my Project Wax bag (I'll explain this in my next post), he picked Kim's Tarts' Farmhouse Cider. An excellent choice, my fine feathered friend...now I KNOW this is not the right phrase, it's just something I always say. :)


...I really wish I could review this scent better. We wanted to love it...

Per Kim's Tarts website, the notes for this scent are: "Fresh, ground cinnamon, generously sprinkled over tasty hot apple cider. Allspice, fresh clove bud, and drips of Vermont maple complete this flavorful treat. The scent of hot spiced cider warms the soul. SUPER STRONG!" To me, this fragrance pretty much sounded like a dupe for the Bath & Body Works scent with the same name. What we expected to get was an overwhelming spicy apple scent, dripping with fall delight...something that would run us out of the room because it was so strong...

...unfortunately, that was not the case. On cold sniff, the scent was virtually nonexistent. I added one of the 3 scalloped tarts to start into my 24-watt hot plate warmer and figured we'd try our luck anyways. Well, the first one was melted completely and I didn't even know it. If I put my nose almost directly on the wax, I could get a tiny hint of cinnamon, otherwise, nothin'. I added another tart to see if it yielded better results...then had to add the third and final tart when 2 didn't do squat. While the fragrance was fractionally improved with the addition of the remaining 2 tarts, this scent did almost nothing for us. It was really disappointing because the description promised strength where there was none. Onto the next thing!

Happy melting, everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~
Kim's Tarts Farmhouse Cider
Cold Rating: 2/10; this one had no fragrance at all. There was a slight hint of something in the middle tart in the bag of 3, but it was not anything included in the Farmhouse Cider description.
Lit Rating: 3/10; one point for each tart, I suppose. Disappointingly light scent after a raving description about strength.
Throw Rating: 2/10; again, you had to be ON TOP of the wax to get any throw.
Overall Rating: 2.5/10; it's hard to review something that basically has no throw, smell, or general use. But, this is 2 out of 3 tarts I've tried from Kim's Tarts that have had a less than average performance. I still have quite a few bags filled with tarts left to melt, and my hunch is I'd better do it fast or else there will be no scent in the wax left to review!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! If you do not have a Google ID, just use the "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" option, and comment away! :)