Sunday, January 13, 2013

Weekend Wax Review: January 11-13

Hello, friends! How was your week? I taught our pup 2 new tricks! He's ridiculously smart...but I don't want to brag. :)

Anywho, I melted some stuff this weekend, some good, some fabulous, some bad. Here's a recap!
Look at those cute labels on the bottom of their scent shots! Adorbz! This is obviously from Zaleski Creations, yet another company I heard about from the Simply Sensational Sampler. While Southern Pecan Pie smelled good (and ridiculously accurate), there was virtually no scent throw with this. You had to be right on top of it or right next to it to smell the deliciousness. On cold sniff, 5.5/10. While warming, 5.5/10. The throw was 3/10, for a total of 4.5/10.
Next was the second of the two samples from Zaleski Creations. This was a basic cinnamon scent but again, almost no throw. On cold sniff, 5/10, I only smell spice. While warming, 4/10. The throw was 3/10, for a total of 4/10. I would like to try other items from this company, but I hope they ramp up their throw and scents!
I have had a few great and a few so-so scents from Ava's Country Cupboard, but this one was okay! it was smokey, like Fireside, but had a hint of sweetness to it, maybe a maple note or something? I wish it would have been stronger, though. On cold sniff, 5/10, I don't smell very much except for smoke. While warming, 6/10, just a bit above average. While warming, unfortunately, 4/10, not so strong. The total on this one is 5/10. I might but this again, but I suspect it's seasonal.
This was my first experience with Candles By Victoria. Crackling Birch was so, so nice. It was more musky and cologne-y than tree-y, but there was definitely a hint of woods. Overall, I was impressed by this fragrance and would definitely try to get my hands on it again! On cold sniff, 6.5/10. While warming, 7.5/10. The throw was a 7/10, for a total of 7/10, and an impressed Lolo!
*I will note that, with all of the 3 CBV scent shots I've melted so far, the wax hardened INSTANTLY when I took the plate off the warmer. Usually, the wax stays liquid long enough to dispose of it, but these were insane...after trying to pour them out, it took at least 15 minutes to clean the warmer plate completely! Weird!
Ahhh, my love for Candles From The Keeping Room continues. Lemon Fluff is less fluff, more fruit loops to me. I swear, it started out lemony, transitioned to lemon marshmallow, and ended as lemon fruit loops! It was crazy good. On cold sniff, 7/10. While warming, 8/10. The throw was a little less, hovering around a 6.5/10, for a total of 7/10. This is definitely a repurchase!
This cured for a good 5 months. Buttercream & Coconut was like tropical frosting! It was strong at first, but fizzled fast, I'm afraid. It had a lot of potential...I ended up adding a coconut & pineapple tart from Tiffany Candles to revive it, and it lasted quite a bit longer when I did! On cold sniff, 5.5/10, all you smell is buttercream with a faint, faint hint of coconut. While melting, 6.5/10. The throw started out strong but faded, 4/10, for a total of 5/10. An fabulous tart that had potential, only to need to be revived. :(
This is the little scent that could. We ordered pizza the night I burned this, and the delivery woman said, "Is that a candle?! It smells amazing! I love candles!" We told her it was a wax tart from Tiffany Candles, an online wax vendor, and was sort of like a wickless candle. At first on cold sniff, it seems like you only get honey from this one, so I'm hesitant, but I'll give it a 6/10, because it was pretty strong. While warming, though, the honey transformed into a nice mix of oatmeal, creamy milk (but NOT sour like other milk scents I've tried), and succulent honey, for a 7.5/10. The throw was obviously strong, though when I went outside and came back in, I couldn't smell it too terribly much, so a 7/10 will do. The total on this one is 7/10, and a absolute repurchase!
I did not like this at all. Besides the fact that it was way too strong (I guess I'll have to get used to cutting CBV scent shots in half or quarters), who even knows what mulberry smells like? And I get absolutely no honeydew from this...it was just an overbearing musky weird scent. On cold sniff, 6/10. While warming, 3.5/10. The throw was strong with a 6.5/10, for a grand total of 5/10.

Another scent...well, the photo didn't send to my computer and I had already deleted it from my phone. It was from CFTKR, called Sugar Cookie Zucchini Bread, and it was AMAZING. At first, while warming, it was straight zucchini bread. Then, it hit a pocket of only sugar cookie. Finally, the blend was phenomenal, sweet like a cookie but hearty like the bread. It was really, really nice. On cold sniff, 6.5/10. While warming, 8/10. The throw was outstanding, 8/10, for a total of 7.5/10. Who says I don't love bakery anymore?!
Next, we've got Ollie's Soaps' Brandied Pear. I've never tried pear scented wax. I like pears. I like brandy. Naturally, this sounded amazing. And it was pretty dang great! You really get each note: the crispy, delicious and fresh pear mixed with boozy brandy! On cold sniff, there isn't much there, about a 5.5/10. While warming, 7/10. The throw was a 6/10, for a total of 6/10! Would definitely repurchase this one!
Last, but certainly not least, we have my very first mystery tart! At first, I was skeptical because the bottom half was DEFINITELY caramel something or other...it was overbearingly sweet! But, when mixed with the top half, which I'm assuming was raspberry (or some sort of other red berry!), it smelled like raspberry zingers! I am having good luck finding raspberry zinger scents. On cold sniff, 7/10, strong and bright! While warming, 7.5/10. The throw was great, 7.5/10, for a total of  7/10! Great one!! :)

Have a superb week!

1 comment:

  1. Some interesting ones here. I've never even heard of that first one, Zaleski Creations.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! If you do not have a Google ID, just use the "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" option, and comment away! :)