Saturday, December 1, 2012

Melt-A-Palooza: Kim's Tarts, Part I

As I've stated in past reviews, the tarts by Kim I have tried have been hit or miss. Some were pretty dang great, some were either unscented or just plain smelly. Regardless of MY opinions, for your money, I doubt you're going to find a cheaper vendor around the internet...3 scalloped tarts for $1.50 with free shipping of any order over $35?? That's an amazingly great deal. On the other hand, if you're paying good money, you might want to buy somewhere that is consistent with its products. Agree or disagree, this is the first company I purchased wax from online (besides Yankee and B&BW), so I want them to succeed!

I decided to have a MAJOR Kim's Tarts meltdown today! I kicked my tart warmer into high gear and got to meltin' this afternoon; it's the perfect day for a nice, waxy melt-a-palooza, as it is tad bit gloomy with a little bit of drizzle! Stay tuned for part 2 of this blog entry in the next few days because I melted so many different scents. :)

1) Kim's Tarts Trick or Treats is just average. I meant to melt this during Halloween, but I completely forgot. On cold throw, there was a barely there sweet smell, but I could not distinguish what it was. As it began to melt, the room was flooded by a spicy aroma of cinnamon, which quickly melded with an artificial pumpkin/apple note. It was very sweet, too, but Splenda-sweet, not sugar cane.

Kim's Tarts' Trick or Treats
Cold Rating: 3.5/10; very, very faint sweet smell, yet indistinguishable.
Lit Rating: 5/10; not much more to say...too sweet, too fake smelling, the spice was nice, but it was overpowered by artificial apple and pumpkin.
Throw Rating: 5/10; medium scent throw, nothing else to say about that.
Overall Rating: 4.5/10; artificiality hampers what could have been an otherwise delicious smelling tart.

2) On the positive side, Leaves (type) was pretty dead on compared to the popular Bath & Body Works scent. It had a fabulous dried apple scent coupled with spices and a slightly sweet maple aroma. Festive, bright, and strong while melting! Cold. however, most of Kim's Tarts are middle of the road, at best.

Kim's Tarts' Leaves
Cold Rating: 5/10; still almost nothing, but this scent had the most fragrance out of any of the Kim's Tarts I have smelled.
Lit Rating: 7.5/10
Throw Rating: 8/10
Overall Rating: 7/10
3) Have you ever eaten chestnuts in their original form? I haven't, so I have no idea what to go on, fragrance wise. This one smelled pretty dang great! I'm super excited that this batch of Kim's Tarts have been decent because, like I said, I want their business to succeed. This one, while named Chestnuts and Brown Sugar, should really be named creamy graham crackers. It smelled like honey, brown sugar, a touch of butter, with a little hint of creamy vanilla or marshmallow. It was really pleasant!

Kim's Tarts' Chestnuts and Brown Sugar
Cold Rating: 5/10; average, nothing special, even with extra oils on top of the tart. GRRRRRRR!!
Lit Rating: 6.5/10; decent smell of graham crackers, not overly nutty, sugary yet buttery at the same time.
Throw Rating: 6.5/10
Overall Rating: 6/10; pretty good! I enjoyed this scent, but it smelled like graham crackers more than chestnuts and brown sugar. Definitely a bakery scent without cake or cookie fragrance!

4) What's your favorite type of pie? Mine just happens to be Lemon Meringue Pie. So, what would any logical person do, apart from making one or buying one from a local store or bakery? BUY IT IN TART FORM, OF COURSE! This one was really, really great! You could actually smell each element of a lemon meringue pie individually in different whiffs!

Kim's Tarts' Lemon Meringue Pie
Cold Rating: 5.5/10; average flaky, crusty, lemony scent on cold sniff.
Lit Rating: 7.5/10; pretty strong! Enjoyed this scent, but I always have to use 2 or even all 3 tarts to get this result.
Throw Rating: 7/10; traveled around the entire house, but lingered the farthest away from the bedroom.
Overall Rating: 6.5/10; smells like a real lemon meringue pie! Strong, too. Great performance, I am pleased!

2 comments:

  1. I have Trick or Treat too - and I completely forgot to melt it during Halloween week. I hope it is still okay next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim's Tarts seem to lose scent after a very short time...I don't know if it's her plastic bags absorbing the scent or what! Hopefully you have better luck than I did!

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment! If you do not have a Google ID, just use the "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" option, and comment away! :)