Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Review: Ollie's Soaps Donut Shop, NEW Lemon Cheesecake, Pumpkin Souffle, and Zucchini Bread Noel

Over the last few days, I have been on a bakery kick...yes, me, the one who said she didn't like bakery scents. Live and learn what you like, folks! Some bakery stuff isn't too bad! We're allowed to change our minds, right?!

Welp, as I said in my last post about Ollie's Soaps, I was planning to do another comprehensive review of some of Ayano's products before receiving my surprise package. What better way to indulge than by melting, you guessed it, melt-a-palooza of Ollie's Soaps' bakery scents! :)
I started off my bakery kick with Donut Shop, and what an amazing choice it was! Donut Shop seems to be hit or miss: some vendors make the scent too strong on the bread/yeast/butter, and others make them perfectly, Ayano included. This is more of a cinnamony donut scent, which I LOVE! You really get the smell of walking into a freshly baked donut shop and gawking at the pastries with sparkling cinnamon and sugar crystals on top! So yummy! On cold sniff, 6.5/10, it smells like your basic donut scent with mild tones of cinnamon. While melting, 7.5/10. The throw was a 7/10, pretty strong and did the trick. Overall, 7/10: cinnamony wisps of wonderment. Delicious visions of donuts. Perfect puffs of pastry. This made no sense, but it was grand!
Well, I hate to bring it back up, but my first go around with Ollie's Soaps' lemon cheesecake was not so pleasant. She has changed her scent combination and it has really redeemed itself this time around. You get the creaminess of the cheesecake with a touch of buttery graham crackers layered underneath a bright but silky lemon note. Really, really good job on this blend, Ayano! It wasn't super strong for very long, but it was certainly a welcomed treat. On cold sniff, 5.5/10. While warming, 6.5/10. The throw was about a 6/10, for a total of 6/10! Redemption is sweet (like cheesecake, GET IT??!). :)
Alls I know about a souffle is that it's supposedly one of the hardest things to make properly in the culinary world. I've never had one, so I don't know how to describe them. Basically, it's a puffed-up cake made from egg whites, and can be savory OR sweet. Sounds yummy! Well, pumpkin souffle was definitely a heavier scent, very, very bakery, with a hint of pumpkin. Not super sweet, but pretty rich smelling. It lingered long after I turned off the warmer, too. On cold sniff, 5/10, all I got was a eggy note. While warming, 5.5/10, not much pumpkin, but it wasn't too bad. Throw was 6/10, for a total of 5.5/10...not my favorite, but certainly not bad!
There have been a few zucchini blends that just didn't do it for me: they were either too yeasty and bready, or too savory. Well, this is the perfect blend between yeast and sweet and bread and zucchini. The vanilla bean noel really tones down the breadiness and zucchininess of this scent! I swear there was a hint of a cinnmony note in it, too, which made it all the better. I truly enjoyed this scent. It lasted a long time and even overpowered the Christmas tree in the living room! On cold sniff, 6/10. While warming, 8/10. Throe was 8/10 for a total of 7.5/10. Very, very nice zucchini blend, and I recommend you get your hands on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment! If you do not have a Google ID, just use the "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" option, and comment away! :)