Sunday, December 16, 2012

Weekend Wax Review: December 14-16

Hi again! Sorry about the sad post yesterday, I was just feeling overcome with sadness. This is going to be Josh's (and my) first Christmas without his mom and grandma, and he's taking it pretty hard. The tragic incident in Newtown, CT only exacerbated the sadness.

And now, back to wax. Anywho, I melted some stuff this weekend and tried my damnedest to complete my first Project Wax bag...and now I'm done! YAY! Time to move onto a new bag! I think it's easier to melt stuff if they are in one location instead of spread out all throughout the house. Let's get to what I melted this weekend!
First up was my Ava's Country Cupboard cinnamon cheesecake free sample. This scent was really, really pleasant. I got a creamy, cheesecake note right off the bat that melded into a cinnamon delight. On cold sniff, 5.5/10. While warming, 6.5/10. Throw was decent, 6/10. Overall, 6/10! I might even consider purchasing this one!
Josh requested something spicy the other day, so I chose Autumn Harvest from Crabby Candle Company. It was wonderful, very pumpkiny, cinnamony, and musky. I loved it! The throw was super strong and it lasted about 6-7 hours. Crabby Candle Co. makes very great wax products! On cold sniff, 6/10. While warming, 8/10. Throw was a 7/10, for a grand total of 7/10. Definitely a repurch!
Lately, I've been loving Bath & Body Works' Spice candle, which, apparently, is going to be part of the White Barn core collection! Yay! It's very spicy, obviously, with dried orange peel and bit of mild vanilla mixed in. The burn has been even and clean, and I love the photo on the label, very classic. On old sniff, it's a 7/10, fabulous. While burning, the same, 7/10. The throw is a little bit less around a 6.5/10. Overall, 7/10, one of my favorites from Bath & Body Works, and I will definitely buy again! SALE NOTICE: Candles are 2/$20 right now, but I'm pretty sure they are jumping up to 2/$22 permanently next year. BOO.
Do you remember Chupa Chups? When I was a wee lass, these lollipops were all the rage, plus, they were featured in "Spice World." Don't you DARE judge me about this flaw-free movie!!!!! Anywho, this smells like a strawberries and cream Chupa Chups lollipop. I liked Paradise from Tiffany Candles, but Josh did not; he said it smelled like sour milk! This is the first time we've maaaaaajorly disagreed on a scent. On cold throw, 4/10, you only get cream and hardly any strawberry. While warming, 5.5/10. The throw was strong at first but fizzled quickly, so 4/10. Overall, the total comes to 4.5/10. I wouldn't repurchase this one just because Josh didn't enjoy it...can't wait until we try CFTKR's sugar milk, LOL. Just FYI: the wax portion of Tiffany's site is closed until the new year, so save up your money!
Front Porch....oh, Front Porch......how I love thee. Pumpkin Eggnog sounded interesting to me, so I decided to melt it this weekend. I was NOT disappointed! The throw on this little tart was strong! I find myself loving the grubby tarts more and more, as opposed to any other type. They are such a perfect shape and don't require any cutting. You really get a wonderful blend of pumpkin and creamy eggnog in this one. Just a note: I have not yet had a cup of eggnog yet this holiday season. On cold sniff, 6/10. While warming, 7.5/10. The throw was medium, 6/10. Overall, a 6.5/10. I would repurchase one or two of these again!
I got these little gingerbread men in Sugar Corn Pudding from the Simply Sensational Sampler. I was unsure about this at first since it is so outside anything I would ever buy or like. But, I was pleasantly surprised! You definitely smelled corn, sugar, butter, and sweetness, without it being too corny or buttery. I also got a maple note in this, and a heavy one at that; it started out on the lighter side (the maple/sweet note), but grew and grew. On cold sniff, all I got was corn, so that's why I got nervous, 4.5/10. On warm throw, 6/10. The throw was good, 6/10. Overall, 5.5/10. Not sure if I would buy this, but it was nice to try!
This small jar candle from Yankee in Home for the Holidays burned fantastically, as you can see from the above photo. I burned it for a reeeeeeeally long time. The throw was in the middle range, and it went up and down. It was a nice mix of cinnamon/clove and balsam/cedarwood, with a hint of fruit in the mix as well. I enjoyed it, I might stick it on my warmer next time because the wick was crazy sooty, which has never happened to me! On cold sniff, 5/10. On warm throw, 6/10. Throw was 5.5/10, for an overall total of 5.5/10.
This is my first experience with Beezy Tarts; I placed a small RTS (ready to ship) order and chose some of my favorite scents that were still available. My tarts came SUPER fast, and my order included 2 sample, a baggie filled with candy, and a huuuuuge chunk of soap! Pumpkin Creme Brulee was a super strong creamy pumpkin type of smell with maybe a bit of an eggy/custardy note. I enjoyed my first sample from this company, in a cute donut shape! On cold sniff, 6.5/10. While warming, 6.5/10. The throw was a 7/10. Overall, 6.5/10.
Pics, Petals & Scents has been in the last 2 Simply Sensational Sampler boxes. The last sample I melted from this company was awesome, very spicy, very fall. Sugared Spruce is very winter, and I'm not sure how I feel about the scent in general. It was a very lovely tree scent, and you definitely got a sweetness, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. It performed well, threw a strong scent throw, but....ehh. On cold throw, 7/10. On warm throw, 5/10, decent. The throw was a 7 as well, for a total of 6/10, I just wouldn't repurchase it. That doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to what Pics, Petals & Scents has to offer in the new year!

That's my weekend wax review! Only 9 days until Christmas, w0ot! Enjoy, do your shopping early (MOM), and happy melting!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Awwww, I'm sorry to hear about Josh's mom and grandmother. :( And the shooting in CT was very very sad and heartbreaking indeed.

    As for your wax melts, you've melted lot of tarts from companies I've never tried before! Very tempting! The Crabby Candle one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crabby Candle Co. also includes Dutch Candle Co., they are one big company! They have A LOT of awesome scents. Everything from my Beezy Tarts order smelled FABULOUS, really strong, especially his "Leaves" dupe!

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment! If you do not have a Google ID, just use the "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" option, and comment away! :)