Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Off Topic Tuesday: The Last Movies You Saw in the Theater

Josh and I are huge movie fans, and by huge, I mean we named our dog after a character in "The Godfather" huge. Every genre, every era, every color scheme...I just love getting lost in film.

Every year when the Oscar nominations come out, we make it our goal to see all the films nominated for Best Picture; we have done this for the last 4 years. We also figured, let's go big! We have a list of all the Best Picture nominees and winners from 1950-2012, and our goal is to see them all! From 1979-2011, there are only 3 films that we have not seen: "Tess," "Atonement" (which I have seen, Josh has not), and "Atlantic City." That's dedication!

Here are the last two movies we've seen on the big screen!
We saw "Django Unchained" about a week ago and MAN was it great! Quentin Tarantino is such a fabulous director, he's probably one of my favorites. The cast was superb (Leonardo DiCaprio at his finest, I'd say), and while it was a bit bloody and overly racist (it is about a former slave in 1858 who uprises against the people who split he and his wife apart), it will definitely be on my list of the best movies of the year...I just know it. When Christoph Waltz teams up with Tarantino, he is unstoppable, his performance completely compelling. I can't say enough good things about this film.  I'd give it an 8.5/10.
I have been looking forward to the new film version of "Les Miserables" for a long, long time. This movie was phenomenal. I cried, I sighed, I was right there with them! It was a tad bit long, just shy of the 3 hour mark. The acting was fantastic, the songs were performed so well, and overall, I thought it got the recognition it deserved. The only thing I will say was I didn't really like the "new" song written for the movie (a bit Oscar-baity, if you ask me). In my opinion, it did the stage production justice, even though I'd like to see it again to compare! Just stellar! 9/10!

So, for this week's Off Topic Tuesday, what's the last movie you've saw in the theater? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. What a fun hobby/goal! Hubby and I used to watch movies all the time back in our younger years. Now he's the movie watcher and I'm the putter around doing other things-er. I'd love to get back into movie watching mode but somewhere along the line I developed an impatience, I can't sit still through them.

    The last movie we saw on the big screen ... ? Hmmmm! I don't even know. Maybe Prometheus, which would have been last summer. Yeah, I didn't even go see Breaking Dawn OR The Hobbit.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your hubby go to the movies by himself? I've only been once by myself my whole life, but it was fun!

      Did you like Prometheus??! We saw that, too, and liked it a lot. You should go see "The Hobbit," it was pretty good!

      Delete
    2. Hubby doesn't go alone. One time I went to see one of the Twilight movies while he went to see something else, but in general we don't go alone.

      Prometheus was ok. Too many unanswered questions. And hubby and I were both thinking "RUN TO THE SIDE!" lol

      Did you see Skyline? I was surprised how into that one I got. That's not my genre.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. That is so cool that you have seen nearly all of the Oscar nominated movies in recent history! I saw 2 movies last weekend, one amazing and one abysmal. We'll start with the abysmal - Movie 43. I knew it wasn't going to be great but I wanted to see it because an actor from one of my favorite shows (Jeremy Allen White from Shameless) was in it, so I figured why not? Horrible, awful. I don't mind crude humor but this was taken to the ultimate extreme. Do not want. lol
    We also saw Django Unchained, which was incredible. Everyone in it was phenomenal, especially Leonardo DiCaprio. My heart breaks every awards season though because he gets snubbed time after time! Anyways, it was a bit long but overall an excellent film!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! If you do not have a Google ID, just use the "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" option, and comment away! :)