Sunday, February 10, 2013

Weekend Wax Review: February 8-10

Friday morning, we had a ridiculously long rain storm, including a special appearance by HAIL! You must know, we don't get much of that stuff here in San Diego. My point is, it was cold, and cold, for some reason, means a lot of melting! Let's get to it, shall we?
7am on a Friday morning...what better way to kick off the weekend? COTTON CANDY, of course! Josh bought me a cotton candy maker for Christmas this year, and we haven't used it, but this sure puts me in the mood! As you might know, Beezy-Tarts' products have craaaaaazy strong throw, and this was no exception. On cold sniff, 7/10, smells like the best cotton candy scent I have smelled yet. This was in the warmer about 6 hours. While warming, 7.5/10, it was really a nice treat! The throw was a 6.5/10, for a total of 7/10, and a definite repurchase!
Apple Strudel (from CFTKR) sounds like a nice, cold weather treat, right? This one was lovely, but not too terribly in your face. It had apples, spices, and a hint of "fried" from the strudel part. This one lasted only 2.5 hours, though. On cold sniff, 5.5/10, you only get a little apple smell. While warming, 6/10. The throw was a 6/10, for a total of 6/10. I might repurchase this one, but there are other apple ones I like more, I think.
I was still in a "bakery" mood after Apple Strudel, so I moved to Butter Pecan from CFTKR after about 4 hours. This was nice, but very sweet! It smelled like butter pecan ice cream, yum! On cold sniff, 7/10, and while warming, 7/10. The throw was a 6.5.10, for a total of 7/10, rounded up a bit! Possibly a repurchase.
Cranberry Bog from Granny's Kountry Candles was a scent I got from the first round robin I was in! This one started out nice, but it got really bitterly sweet, and fast. On cold sniff, 6.5/10, and while warming, 5/10. The throw was a 5.5/10, for a total of 5/10, rounded slightly down. While warming, I was not a fan, but on cold sniff, I was. Not a repurch.
Another round robin pick was Lime Crescents from GKC. This one was straight lime, with a hint of creaminess. Really nice, I kept it in the warmer about 3 hours because Josh started to get tired of it. On cold sniff, 6.5/10, and while warming, 7.5/10. The throw was a 6.5/10, for a total of 7/10. Probably a repurchase if I ever order from GKC again.
I've had a few candy cane scents go south on me, but not this one from Ava's Country Cupboard; sure, it's wasn't super strong, but it smelled pretty close to a candy cane. Decent, but only lasted about 2 hours. On cold sniff, 5/10. While warming, 5/10. The throw was a 5/10, as well, for a 5/10 straight across the board.
By contrast, Ollie's Soaps Candy Cane really IS the best candy cane scent I have ever smelled. It was so nice, very sweet and minty mixed together. Super! This was the overnight melt, and it was still going strong at 7am on Saturday morning. On cold sniff, 7/10. While warming, 7/10. The throw was a 6.5/10, for a total of 7/10! So good!
*On a personal note, I want to wish Ayano, the owner of Ollie's Soaps, good luck on her upcoming business venture: she is starting a cupcake business! When my husband and I go to Washington on vacation, we will have to stop in and try your delicious treats! :)
Unfortunately, waking up Saturday, I decided on a Rosegirls chunk in Raspberry Swizzle Sticks...and was not impressed. To me, the swizzle stick party of this was too overbearingly sweet. The raspberry, however, was nice, yet overshadowed by the artificially sweet smell. We only kept this one in 2 hours. On cold sniff, 6.5/10. While warming, it jumps down to a 4.5/10. The throw was a 5.5/10, for a total of 5/10, rounded slightly down. Not a repurchase, and luckily, I didn't buy this when I had a chance.
I tried to rival the success of the above cotton candy scent by melting Tiffany's version of the scent. While I enjoyed it, in my opinion, it was not exactly cotton candy, but more like strawberry sugar! It was alright, but nothing to write home about. This comes out to a 6/10 across the board. It might have been good with something added.
This scent, Family Gathering from Candles From The Keeping Room, was dug out from the bottom of my wax bin. I had 3 little pie tarts left, so I decided on one alone, and boy am I glad I did...this one was SO strong and SO caramelly! It definitely needed something to tone it down. On cold sniff, 7/10. While warming, 7.5/10. The throw was a 6.5/10, for a total of 7/10! Yum, but not sure if I'd repurchase since I have 2 tarts left.
I had no idea about the notes in this one (Sweet Tooth from Tiffany Candles) until I checked the website, but this was another super sweet scent. It was very apple-cinnamon-caramel-bun, in my opinion. Delicious! On cold sniff, 6/10. While warming, 7.5/10. The throw was a 7/10, for a total of 7/10. I would definitely repurchase this one because it smelled great and lasted about 4 hours.
Winter Fall from Tiffany Candles is a combination of vanilla and peppermint, and I loved every minute of it. It was subtly minty, which was nice to fall asleep to! On cold sniff, 6/10. While warming, 7/10. The throw was a 6/10 as well, for a total of 6.5/10, rounded slightly up! I enjoyed this a lot, and will repurchase it!
Woke up this morning and wanted something sweet, so I decided on Haley's Heavenly Scents' Fluffy Pink, a combination of marshmallow and pink sugar. This one was really nice! On cold sniff, 7/10. While warming, 6/10. The throw was a 6.5/10. The total was a 6.5/10 on this one, and a definite repurchase. I could see this being a great blender!
After I got into Yankee Candle hardcore, I converted to Scentsy. Whiteout was a very sought-after mint scent. The first day I got my clamshell, I melted 2 cubes, and it was SO strong. This time around, I ended up using 3 cubes with hardly any scent. On cold sniff, 6/10. While warming, 4/10. the throw was a 3/10, for a total of 4/10, not a repurchase, and I am highly disappointed.
Get Naked from Tiffany Candles was sort of weirdly, falsely tropical...I don't know. There was lots of coconut, a mid-level of pineapple, and maybe some papaya? I wasn't a super-fan. On cold sniff, 4/10. While warming, 4.5/10. The throw was a 4.5/10 as well, for a total of 4.5/10. Meh, not a repurchase.
Front Porch and I have been at an impasse lately. I have not ordered from them this year...maybe 2 or 3 times I have wanted to, but have stopped myself. I have enough of their stuff to not order. Warm Christmas was basically peppermint and cookies, and it was weird. There was a tree note in there, too. On cold sniff, 5/10. While warming, 4/10. The throw was a 5/10 as well, for a total of 4.5/10, rounded slightly down.
 Finally, right now, we are warming a Rosegirls Key Lime Swizzle Sticks chunk and half of a Tiffany Candles scalloped tart in Key Lime Pie. The "pie" tart was meant to cut the sweetness of the swizzle sticks. It was nice, but nothing special. On cold sniff, 6/10. While warming, 5.5/10. The throw was a 6.5/10, for a total of 6/10, and a possible repurchase, maybe.

Have a fabulous week, y'all! It's chilly in SD tonight! :)

1 comment:

  1. Butter Pecan sounds good!

    I was reluctant to try Swizzle Sticks anything by Rosegirls. Sounded too sweet. Glad I skipped it when I ordered on the 1st!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! If you do not have a Google ID, just use the "Name/URL" or "Anonymous" option, and comment away! :)